Tuesday, November 29, 2011

'Walking Dead' just saved itself —
(There may be spoilers here, so read at your own risk.)
Last night, I saw the latest episode of Walking Dead, and I have to say, "Wow."

I've read the comics from the beginning, and it's always held my attention. That's rare. So when the TV show came along, I was more than a little skeptical. Can you blame me?

I waited until weeks after the first season was over before watching the whole thing. I have to say I liked it. They bottled the "feel" of the comics. I did NOT like the final episode, though. It didn't resemble anything from the comics, and it was out of place with the rest of the show. It was too "Resident Evil" for me. And the A-Team action scene at the end? Don't get me started.

Again, I waited a while before starting the second season. And again, it was good. Better than good, actually, with some amazing moments. The surgery scene and Carl's seizure were so well-crafted, they made me a little sick. Zombie gore is passé. Easy. Making me care about a character? That's hard.

But then, last week's episode fell flat for me. The clumsy attempt at a pro-life message was typical Hollywood and very disappointing. Almost lost me there. And I was getting tired of the current story arc, which seemed to be going nowhere.

Then came episode 7. Wow. I didn't see it coming. I love it when that happens. I'll keep watching.

***

1 comment:

  1. I had mixed feelings about that CDC episode overall, but I felt it put things into perspective how even this government installation fell hard and was reduced to one scientist that was ready to "opt out". Here was a guy who also studied the problem first-hand with the latest resources available, yet even he couldn't provide the survivors with solutions or hope. And it won't be a shocker if Fort Benning turns into another dead end too.

    The 7th episode held up really well, and though I usually see twists coming in stories, this episode's ending I didn't expect.

    Back to Dr.Jenner a second...I always figured that his farewell whisper to Rick was about Lori's pregnancy, yet Rick seemed totally surprised by her admission firsthand. Who knows...

    ReplyDelete