Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Domain name for Ultra Fem?

I registered a domain name this week, which is something I've never wanted to do. The domain name business is a total rip-off. There's always a surprise charge or unexpected condition, and when your domain "expires," you're forced to pay for it AGAIN or some crook will buy it up and jack the price so high you'll never get it back. You CREATE it, but it's taken from you, and you have no say in the matter, even if it's literally your own name. It's THEFT and EXTORTION, and somehow it's perfectly legal.

Well, I did it anyway, and I was immediately sorry.

I paid for 5 years at Freeola.com, but when I went to upload files to my "free" server space... turns out it's only "free" if I'm one of their broadband customers... in the UK. The server space was what I wanted, but I didn't catch that detail during the sign-up. I WONDER WHY.

I've demanded a refund, and they say I'll get it. I don't know if I'll try again. I also don't know what will happen to the domain name I created. I'd like to say "who cares," but I DO care.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment