Thursday, July 22, 2010

Computer STILL Phucked --
I do NOT have Windows 7 reinstalled, and I have NOT been able to get a new copy of Windows 7. I've been running Ubuntu since midday, learning to use GiMP instead of Photoshop. It does ALMOST everything I need EXCEPT the couple of things I ABSOLUTELY NEED IT TO DO. Of course.

Ubuntu is by far the friendliest linux, but holy shit is it ever wonky! Just unpredictable and squirrelly as hell. I've tried every version of Ubuntu for the last 10 years or so, and they never get any better. Freezing and crashing all over the place, IF you can get it installed at all. You can't find the software you need, and even if you do, it won't run. Then there's the stuff that can't be installed unless you're a goddam linux programmer. (Stop it with the "log in as root" shit! Just STOP IT!!!)

So... Ubuntu is never more than a fall-back. I wish it was better.

Tomorrow I have ONE last thing I want to try, and after that... I just don't know.

P.S. - I'm not looking for advice, thanks. I got it.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment