Sunday, June 6, 2010

I've made a decision...
I'm not going to use the word "rape" anymore. And I'll no longer draw "involuntary" situations, either. A couple of weeks ago, I read this tremendous essay called Rape Culture 101 which made me really think about the subject. I haven't used the r-word often, but when I did, I fell into a conceit about it being "just play," like all the other bondage and domination situations I depict. But it isn't, and I shouldn't.

The image at right is a recently completed commission, and a good example. Changing the words used to describe it really can't change what's clearly happening there. In the future, I'll have to make sure each scene is obviously voluntary.

Oh certainly, I will continue to draw intense and filthy sexual scenes, FOR SURE! ;) I will simply avoid trivializing this particular issue. Those of you who have worked with me know I won't draw blood or mutilation, and the same goes for children. This new decision is in the same vein. Whatever I or the customer may intend, the subject is off limits.

***

2 comments:

  1. I highly respect you for this decision. Using euphamisms (like struggle-sex) for it only makes it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a good idea too.

    I mean even when viewing stuff from most of the artists' who do work for SHC, they may have a poll for an ongoing comic/story & give options on what occurs next & it's suprising (in a bad way) how many times the majority decisions makes the bulk of the artwork move away from the hot sex you thought you'd get & just veer toward sheer violence for the next buttload of panels.

    So yes please, lean MOORE toward smut not snuff, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete